Mashed Cauliflower is a great low carb alternative to regular mashed potatoes. It retains a similiar texture and is a lot more responsive to any herbs or seasonings.
I had a few friends over recently and made mashed Cauliflower. They could not believe that it was not Potato. They knew it was different but still thought it was absolutely amazing. If you have not had a Cauliflower mash yet, you really should.
It is an amazing side dish that holds well in the refrigerator for days. If frozen, you can keep it for months. Perfect for a make ahead meals.
I am a big fan of Garlic, so this recipe is pretty heavy on the garlic. Feel free to substitute it with any other seasoning you prefer.
- 1 Large head cauliflower
- Grass-fed salted butter
- Minced garlic
- Sea salt
- Cut the head of cauliflower in half and remove the stem. Cut the remainder into small pieces.
- Boil or steam the Cauliflower until soft (approximate 15-25 minutes). Test regularly with a fork.
- Drain Cauliflower and place if a food processor.
- Pulse until the Cauliflower breaks into small chunks.
- Add Butter and Garlic to taste. I like it strong so I use upwards of three cloves.
- Process on high until it is nice and smooth.
- Taste and add more Butter, Salt and/or Garlic.
- Serve, refrigerate or freeze.